I decided to record my understanding of comments made by the research panel so that I may come back and reflect on these thoughts over the next few months while choosing a definite path.
- Research is not about proving your own idea.
- Try to understand a small part of the world, but don’t try to change the world.
- Create research questions that allow you to explore something…not a yes/no question.
- Use research methods that set a guide for how you will approach research and for setting a scope for research.
- Don’t choose a research method that does not resonate with you, but keep in mind that different methods do offer different viewpoints on a topic.
- Theoretical frameworks are important as they offer structures and concepts to follow when determining what to do with researched data.
- Challenges in research involve collection of data, synthesizing that data, and writing about your research.
- Rewards include gaining an understand about people and human nature, as well as increasing abilities in critically thinking, thinking carefully, and thinking methodically.
This residency has been invaluable to me…I already feel like this process is changing my life, and it is opportunities like taking part in the research panel that are making the difference. (Well, that and some good, yet stressful times with my new friends.)