Our discussion forum in PIDP 3250 has talked about many methods of developing a positive learning environment. One of my favourites is using humour in the classroom. The video below is a great reference regarding this concept:
- Create security by discussing how to offer constructive criticism when working with others.
- Create a sense of community through shared activities, group work, discussions, etc.
- Organize the classroom for easy interactions; control noise and temperature whenever possible.
- Offer organized and clear course materials and activities to avoid confusion and frustration
- Offer timely feedback both formally and informally
- Barkley, Elizabeth F. (2010) Student Engagement Techniques :A Handbook For College Faculty. San Francisco : Jossey-Bass,
- Mann, J. C. (2014). A Pilot Study of RN-BSN Completion Students’ Preferred Instructor Online Classroom Caring Behaviours. ABNF Journal, 25 (2), 33-39.
- Swafford, M., Bailey, S. & Beasley, K. (2014). Positive Learning Environment Enhance Student Acheivement. Techniques: Connecting Education & Careers, 89 (5), 32-35.